I made a planting table for my SO today. The old one finally gave up due to weather, wear and tear. It’s going to be mounted on the garden shed’s wall with hinges so it’s “foldable” to save some space when it’s not in use and also to protected from the elements a little better.
As much of a setback the smoking session last weekend was, as heavenly the dry cured meat turned out!
Took ’em off the hook today since they had reached the planned weight. Firm to the touch, dry and with a really delicious scent. It came out almost “creamy” with an unobtrusive taste, the herbs I used come through not too heavy and they have a very pleasant texture.
Pork neck with the surface fat trimmed diligently turned out to be the most suitable piece to use. Only thing I will change is that I will use a little larger pieces next time. O.K. so let’s skip smoking and concentrate on dry curing instead 🙂
So yesterday the four pieces of pork went into the smoker for two sessions with about 4 hours each. Unfortunately, only one of them came out good, the other three didn’t. Very harsh taste, almost bitter. Not really pleasant. At least they looked pretty…
This is the Drying-Box that I made the last few days. Originally no more than a standard wooden box from the hardware store.
So I think I’m starting large-scale production now… 🙂 I have four new pieces of pork here again (belly, neck and shoulder) that I want to cure in different ways and that I plan to cold-smoke next weekend.
The waiting is over now after six days of dry curing in a vaccum bag. So I gave each one a different spice: Coarse pepper, Thyme and Rosemary, corded ’em up and hung ’em in the fridge. Now it’s about waiting for them to dry.
Weekly Top 3 Posts:
I’m (somewhat) social too!