I’m trying to make my own Micarta at the moment because I want to use it for a new knife project. I made a simple press, took an old t-shirt and some epoxy and started.
The first test didn’t come out satisfying. The material is even and smooth enough and it’s fully soaked through with epoxy but it didn’t become hard. It’s still pliable after 24 hrs. of curing so I’ll give it another 24 hrs and see what happens. Nonetheless I suspect I might have gotten the resin to hardener ratio wrong (although I always deemed myself capable of creating a simple 1:2 mixture as specified on the product…)
Well, I’ve got time and enough old t-shirts and resin for more experiments 🙂