Last two week’s big project is finally done! I made a chicken coop in the back yard and now I’m waiting for some chickens to move in! Living in a rather rural area, I took great pains in creating an as much as possible predator-proof construction.
As the last try with the hydroponic tower system failed completely and I’m not willing to give up the idea itself, I tried a new approach. This time it’s a more standard horizontal construction, capable of holding 24 net cups in 4 “stories”. Construction was cheap and easy enough – the most time consuming thing was letting the paint dry. I’m waiting now for my seedlings to grow big enough to be placed into the tubes.
…or simply, a mushroom bed 🙂 The king oyster mycelium was growing vivdly and it was time to give it some more room and freedom, so we moved it outside. The mushroom patch is located at a shadowy, hidden place in the garden, consisting of nutrient-rich, forest-like ground and lots of mulch and biomass.
This guy has too much free time at his hands… 🙂 I made a cheese press, because I was offered an eBook on cheesemaking – for free! Well, I like cheese in almost all of its forms, so I’ll try that out. Here’s how it was made and how it’s supposed to work.
After my paid work rudely and impolitely interrupted my spare time plans for a while 🙂 I got onwards with the dry aging chamber. Some electronic parts that were still missing finally arrived and I cased and laid the wiring. Not too much, but very fragmented detail work. I hope my basic knowledge of electronics doesn’t leave me completely here. It’s 99% finished now and certainly ready for use. I can’t wait to put it into operation.
They had some wood bbq planks on sale at the hardware store, so of course I had to snatch at the offer. I want to make some flame grilled salmon finnish style (“Loimulohi“) and I’m not willing to spend money on an overpriced plank-holding-contraption. So I had to come up with my own and this here is my shameless copy:
Some progress on the dry aging chamber. Holes for the ventilation are cut and cable feed-through is inserted, the inside part of the LED-lighting is installed. I even found an old BBQ grate that I cut to size and that I hope I can restore enough to use it in the fridge.
We’ve got a very good steak restaurant here in the area and they display their dry aged meat right in their entrance hall (see above). Well, so they do know how to make you hungry, but to me this is also a subtle hint to plan a new project… 🙂
So after some reading and information gathering (just about a year or so…) I got myself an old fridge from ebay classifieds – and slowly but surely I’m losing trust in my fellow earthlings. The guy sold me shit, it worked for 5 minutes then broke down and I had to rewire the electrics.
I am in the northern germany refuge right now (which I appreciate so very much!) and to my astonishment I realized that I don’t have a cold smoke generator up here… what a shame. So I made one from the materials I had lying around here and it seems to work just fine. I’m planning on smoking some salmon the next days (which somebody promised me to deliver), and I hope it’ll meet my requirements. Here’s the summary.
Yes, I know. Mankind has invented Axes for a reason. But sometimes, special tools make up for a better solution for certain situations and mine is making kindling. Small, slim pieces of wood, cumbersome to handle when you want to place the blade of your hatchet and simultaneoulsy get your fingers out of the way. So a kindling splitter is a useful tool and it has it’s justification. Here’s mine:
30 Days Top 3:
I’m (somewhat) social too!