As the last try with the hydroponic tower system failed completely and I’m not willing to give up the idea itself, I tried a new approach. This time it’s a more standard horizontal construction, capable of holding 24 net cups in 4 “stories”. Construction was cheap and easy enough – the most time consuming thing was letting the paint dry. I’m waiting now for my seedlings to grow big enough to be placed into the tubes.
So we caught the weekly allowance of two hours of sunshine the german weather gave us today and used it to finally try out the tabletop grill. It works well and the insulation at the bottom is very effective – no particularly strong downward heat development, so it seems to be safe to use right at the table. Fotos:
…or simply, a mushroom bed 🙂 The king oyster mycelium was growing vivdly and it was time to give it some more room and freedom, so we moved it outside. The mushroom patch is located at a shadowy, hidden place in the garden, consisting of nutrient-rich, forest-like ground and lots of mulch and biomass.
Lately, my neighbours cut a large branch off the oak that grows right on our shared property border and I got two pieces of the wood to grow mushrooms on them. I used Shiitake-inoculated wooden dowels for this and now I’ll have to wait for about half a year or the logs to become fully colonized.
I officially declare the mushroom season open! And to honor this appropriately, I’ve started new king oyster mushroom cultures that I hope will thrive and grow. This time, I used store-bought grain spawn (this shop is cool, give these guys a try!) – the last propagating attempt with the used up mycelium didn’t work out sooo well.
The whole action doesn’t take much time and effort (and it’s perfectly doable, sitting, with a broken knee…). But it is absolutely vital that you work as cleanly as possible, so to give your spawn an edge over any possible competing contaminats. I’ve got two versions:
I don’t have much opportunity to move around and do “real” work these days, so I chose something that I could do standing at one place and with not much strength and mobility required.
I made a new approach to the Tabletop-Indoor-Grill-Thingy I tried last summer (which worked great), but this time I wanted it to be a little more versatile.
So, having passed the end of February and the coldest nights hopefully being over, it’s time to start a new hatchery. This time on the northern germany windowsill and with the prospect of planting the pregrown seedlings into the new raised garden beds (there’s still some work to be done on them) once they’re strong enough:
I chose to sow sorts that are fairly simple to handle and rather uncomplicated, so I’d have good chances of them thriving well and being durable enough to tolerate my “care”. Some were just propagated from existing plants or their fruits, some others I had to sow and will grow them right from the start.
So it was the first spring-like day after several weeks of hard winter today. Moderate temperatures and a lot of sunshine. Beautiful! We fired up the pizza oven and found that it also doubles very well for baking bread.
Well, the last idea, the “DIY smart garden” didn’t really work out as planned very much, but I don’t want to discard the idea. So, now, in the middle of winter, in january cold and lightlessness I decided to try another approach. This time, it’s some kind of a hatchery for growing veggies from seeds, a kind of an incubation chamber. I re-used the growlight I had left from the smart garden project, and crammed everything into a shelf compartment in the shop. This time I also made a cover, so the blinding from the growlight is minimized.
Let’s see how it works out.
30 Days Top 3:
All Time Top 3:
I’m (somewhat) social too!