I had to cut some side branches off the sage and rosemary bushes in the garden. I know it’s not exactly the right time now, but these guys were really just getting too big 🙂 I seem to be physically just not able to just throw away this aromatic, fragrant goodness so I dried them for further use in the kitchen.
Unfortunately, we had to fell five of the many oak trees on our property over the last two and a half years (for various and indeed sensible reasons) – this wood is still stocked here in the garden, drying and waiting for being used worthwile.
Now I read an article from someone that I really deem a “grill master” these days and he stated that solid and reasonable firewood is a more beneficial BBQ fuel than every store-bought coal or briquettes available. Light it up, let it generate glowing embers and use it to grill. So far so good, cooking meat over burning wood is not so much of a recent idea in human history, right?
I got hands on ultra-fresh and beautiful pork belly lately and decided to make cured an smoked bacon again. Didn’t do that for what feels like an eternity and I’m really up for it. I have time at the moment and I can do everything the most relaxed way – finally some cooking fun again 🙂
Tentative progress on the new Dry Aging Chamber. I finished designing/planning the electrical wiring and now started the realization. I also made the necessary installations.
Made a fan and an air vent:
A 12V ⤷ computer fan will hopefully do it’s job inside the fridge, mounted with an angle of 45° and engabeable from the future control board on the top. A closeable ventilation hole with a mesh weave in the fridge’s door will allow for internal as well as external air flow.
A new project begins! Unfortunately, the last dry aging chamber I made didn’t even see real action before the second hand fridge I used to build it put it’s feet up. I found another pre-used and reasonably prized one on eBay classifieds now and I want to try again.
To ease things up a little I will omit some of the functionality the first one was planned to have, but rather keep the option of upgrading it later. A materials list will follow as soon as I have an idea on how to implement everything in detail. So here’s the state of play so far:
It was already last year that I started planning a simple solar power system for the greenhouse, since the next power outlet is a tad bit away. After much back and forth, I finally dug up enough time and nerves to complete it by the end of may.